Snus, the Swedish word for snuff, refers to a moist powder tobacco product that originated in Sweden. Although snus has been around for centuries, it has recently grown in popularity worldwide. If you’re curious about snus and how to use it properly, this complete guide covers everything you need to know.
What is Snus?
Snus is a tobacco product made from ground tobacco leaves. It comes either as a loose powder or in small teabag-like pouches called portions. Unlike American dipping tobacco, snus does not require spitting. The pouches are designed to be placed under the upper lip for extended periods.
The moist snus powder contains around 8-12 mg of nicotine per gram. In comparison, a single cigarette has about 10-15 mg of nicotine.
Snus delivers a pleasurable nicotine buzz and is generally less harmful than smoking cigarettes. It’s also discreet and convenient to use.
How to use snus?
Using snus is quite simple. Follow these basic steps:
- Take a pinch of loose snus or open a snus portion pouch.
- Gently pack the snus between your upper lip and gum. Position it evenly across your gums.
- Leave the snus in place and avoid chewing. Enjoy the nicotine release for around 30-60 minutes.
- When finished, remove the used snus and throw it away. It’s recommended to use each portion only once.
Where to buy Snus in Croatia?
In Croatia, you can easily purchase Swedish snus online through reputable international snus brands that offer worldwide shipping. Popular options include Snusline, SnusCENTRAL, and Snus24.
Some local tobacco shops in Croatia also stock a selection of snus products. However, availability is usually limited compared to online stores. Purchasing online provides access to the broadest range of snus brands, flavors, and nicotine strengths.
Snus is reasonably priced, especially when buying in bulk. On average, you can expect to pay around $4-6 USD per can. Buying 5-10 cans at once can reduce the per can cost to $3-4 USD.
Portion snus is generally a little more expensive than loose snus. However, portions are more convenient and beginner-friendly.
How much nicotine is in snus?
The nicotine content of snus can vary substantially between brands. Most snus range from 6-22 mg of nicotine per gram. Swedish Match, a leading snus producer, offers three nicotine levels:
- Regular Strength: 8mg/g
- Strong: 11-14mg/g
- Extra Strong: 17-22mg/g
For comparison, a light cigarette has around 1-2 mg of nicotine. Heavier smoking can deliver over 3 mg per cigarette.
How long does snus last?
An average snus portion will last 30-60 minutes before the nicotine starts tapering off. However, some extra strong portions can provide a satisfying nicotine release for over an hour.
If you leave a portion in too long, it may start to irritate your gums. Rotating the positioning of your snus can help prolong the duration. Some snus users also use two portions back-to-back for a prolonged nicotine experience.
Do you need to spit while using snus?
A significant benefit of snus is that spitting is not required. The pouches allow the tobacco juices and nicotine to be absorbed by the membranes in your mouth. Unlike dipping tobacco, swallowing the accumulated saliva is not an issue with snus.
However, when using loose snus, occasionally spitting may feel more comfortable. But the bulk of the tobacco juices will still be absorbed – so spitting is minimal compared to American dip tobacco.
The two main forms of snus
Snus is available in two forms – loose powder or pouched portions. Both types have their pros and cons:
- It gives more customization of portion size
- Often has a lower price point
- Provides a stronger tobacco flavor
- Can be messy for beginners
- Needs to be manually portioned
Snus Portions / Nicotine Pouches
- Pre-portioned for convenience
- Easier to use for beginners
- More discreet with no loose tobacco
- Allows better absorption of nicotine
- Less messy and spit-free
Using Nicotine Pouches – Tips from Users
Nicotine pouches are a popular form of snus. Here are some tips for using them:
- Try out different brands and flavors to find your preferences. Menthol and mint varieties provide a cooling sensation.
- Use each pouch only once for hygiene and to prevent a muddy tobacco flavor.
- Position the pouch centrally with even contact across your gums to prevent irritation.
- Drink water regularly when using nicotine pouches to stay hydrated and wash away excess saliva.
- Take a break between pouches to allow your mouth to recover and prevent overloading your nicotine tolerance.
How to store Snus
To maintain freshness and quality, snus should be stored correctly:
- Keep snus refrigerated for maximum shelf life. The fridge prevents the tobacco from drying out.
- If refrigeration isn’t possible, store Snus in a cool dark place away from heat and sunlight.
- Avoid freezing snus as this alters the moisture content and can impair the flavor.
- Ensure cans are sealed tightly between use for freshness.
Using snus takes a little practice but quickly becomes intuitive. Following this snus guide will help you enjoy snus properly right from the start. Be sure to pick quality brands and store your snus correctly. With the right techniques, snus provides a discreet and satisfying nicotine experience.